Melissa Storm is a New York Times and multiple USA Today bestselling author of Women’s Fiction, Inspirational Romance, and Cozy Mysteries.
Despite an intense, lifelong desire to tell stories for a living, Melissa was “too pragmatic” to choose English as a major in college. Instead, she obtained her master’s degree in Sociology & Survey Methodology—then went straight back to slinging words a year after graduation anyway.
She loves books so much, in fact, that she married fellow author Falcon Storm. Between the two of them, there are always plenty of imaginative, awe-inspiring stories to share. Melissa and Falcon also run a number of book-related businesses together, including LitRing, Sweet Promise Press, Novel Publicity, and Your Author Engine.
When she's not reading, writing, or child-rearing, Melissa spends time relaxing at her home in the Michigan woods, where she is kept company by a seemingly unending quantity of dogs and two very demanding Maine Coon rescues. She also writes under the names of Molly Fitz and Mila Riggs.
Evelyn Adams lives in the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains with her three children, a handful of wayward animals and too many chickens to count. If she's not writing sexy southern romances about strong women and the men who adore them, she's chasing kids, gardening and reading.
Becky Muth is a coffee addict who lives in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia with her husband and their adult sons. She's a writer, graphic designer, and social media manager. When she's not working, she's probably knitting while binging sitcoms with her golden retriever.
Geek extraordinaire, mother of two dragons, and lover of all things creative. Graphic designer and artist by day; gamer, crafter, and child wrangler by night. Devotes much of her time to creating wonderful book covers, raising her two minions, reading, crafting, and digitally painting masterpieces!
Falcon Storm was born in the frozen wastelands of Alaska. All that time spent in the dank, dark cold was quite enough, so he moved far, far away to the slightly-less-cold state of Michigan and now continues to seek out warmth by making others laugh. From role-playing games to spinning tall tales, he’s always been a storyteller.
Executive VP at MSI. Mother of 3. Born in Japan but raised in the South. Loves the beach, crafting, and reading... not necessarily in that order.
Trying to figure out if LitRing is the right place for you?
Founded on January 1, 2017, LitRing launched with a bang! In our first two years, we've acquired over 100,000 awesome readers who love us for our gorgeous giveaways, friendly authors, and enjoyable book selections... From our newsletter to our website, all the way to our VIP Facebook group, there's always something amazing happening at LitRing!
- Giveaways, lots of giveaways!
- Free books in all your favorite genres
- A fun community of book lovers
- The chance to get up close and personal with authors
- A never-ending supply of new books and new opportunities
- Listings for your sales, new releases, and giveaways
- Budget and premium list-building opportunities
- Fun group promos to help you grow your following
- Book launch packages
- Ad design, targeting, placement, and analytics
As you may already know, LitRing was founded on January 1, 2017. To cap off our first year, we conducted a survey of more than 10,000 readers to learn about their attitudes toward different genres, giveaways, newsletters, and more.
For 2018, we followed that up with some of the same questions to measure how the industry grew and changed in the past calendar year. We also asked some pressing new questions to help us better understand reader behavior and so that we could make smart business recommendations for authors baed on what we learned.
Although the number of readers surveyed was slightly lower this year (6,318), the period of time during which we collected the data was much shorter--only six weeks as compared to five months last time around.
This report includes our findings for 2018 along with our first layer of yearly comparison data. Each year we will monitor readers’ attitudes and report on how they compare to previous years. We can’t wait for even more data to analyze!
For now, we have assessed reader attitudes as they pertain to 13 unique genres. This report seeks to answer the following questions:
- What is the average price point readers are willing to pay for eBooks, and how does that vary by genre?
- Which retailers are customers using to purchase new eBooks, and how has that distribution changed from last year?
- How many Amazon readers subscribe to Kindle Unlimited, and how long have they been members?
- How many books do our respondents read each month, and how does that vary by genre and heat level?
- Do free books still work?
- After downloading a free book, how long does it take for the reader to get to it?
- Do readers prefer short series, long series, or stand-alones? What factors influence a reader to buy?
- Which genre niches saw growth this year? Which saw decline?
- And which are most profitable overall?
We’ll answer all these questions and more within this year’s free reader survey report. We hope you find it helpful as you plan your publishing year ahead!